Adapt Northern Heritage Conference 2020
5th to 7th May 2020
Surgeon's Quarters, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Climate change is threatening historic places across the world, especially in the world’s northern regions. The international Adapt Northern Heritage Conference 2020 will explore practices and research concerned with:
· assessing the environmental impacts of climate change on, and associated risks to, historic places
· planning and/or implementing adaptation measures to make historic places more resilient to, or manage their loss because of, climate change
This peer-review conference offers themed parallel session over the course of two days with oral and poster presentations. On the third day, relevant case study visits and other social activities are on offer, details of which will be announced in autumn 2019.
The conference is organised by the European project Adapt Northern Heritage (2017-2020), which is supported by the European Union, Iceland and Norway through the Interreg Programme for the Northern Periphery and Arctic. The project has researched climate change adaptation for historic places and supported communities in understanding better the impacts of climate change on their historic places and preparing for their adaptation.
We would like to send a big thank you to everyone that submitted abstracts for the conference. They are currently with our peer review panel and the results of this will be sent out by Thursday 12th December. Feel free to contact us for further information.
1. Assessing the risks of climate change to historic places
2. Engaging communities with regard to historic place adaptation
3. Planning adaptation of historic places to climate change
4. Case studies of implemented adaptation of historic places
5. Management of loss of historic places due to climate change
6. Integrating climate change into conservation management and policies
Please see below for the conference timeline:
Notification of abstract acceptance 12 December 2019
Submission of draft papers 14 February 2020
Notification of review results 20 March 2020
Submission of final papers 24 April 2020
Submission of presentations 30 April 2020
To enquire about exhibition spaces, please email the conference organisers.
The conference is organised by the Adapt Northern Heritage project partners of Adapt Northern Heritage: Historic Environment Scotland, Minjastofnun Íslands, Norsk institutt for kulturminneforskning and Riksantikvaren.
You can contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org